la

9/8/08

sometimes he reminds me it's all worth it

Several months ago (well I think it was that long anyway) when I was at my wits end with connor and venting to robin, she said that ce wasn't looking for a friend right now, what he really needed was for me to be firm and discipline him (something along those lines), he needed me to continue being the strong steady mom---you know the mom I use to be. Admittedly, I am sure that some of the behavioral issues I've been having with connor are really MY fault- and not just the situation we're in now/the change in our lives or the age. I've become inconsistent and giving in too much-- I have this great fear that he'll decide he hates me one day and want to go live with his dad instead of staying with me. I know that's crazy talk.. and something I don't even need to think about till he's like.. 16 and moody LOL.
Anyway.. we were having a *really* really bad day yesterday. He lost his movies (he earns one every other day), he lost his smart cycle, I was about to start taking things out of his room .. LOL .. really bad day.. he kept pushing and pushing, but I stayed firm.. I told him he wasn't going to disrespect me any more and just kept putting him back in his room and told him when he was ready to behave and act like a big boy he could come out and talk to me.
This went on for a while.. lately-- as in the past few months-- I've been so awful about being consistent. He'd scream and yell at me and say but I wanted to follow directions, and I cave and don't stick to his punishment. Obviously this was the wrong plan-- as he was just getting worse and worse. Today, was the last straw though...... no more of the weenie mommy.
Several hours later,he was calm, his chores were done.. he was being super super helpful and sweet.. and he says "Mom I have something to tell you... " expecting something goofy and ridiculous like normal I prepared for something weird like.. dog cats have lemur tails-- but he said.. "I want to tell you something... Mom... you're a great mom.. You're doing good.. don't be sad or mad or sad or anything anymore ok?? I want you to be HAPPY.. you are GREAT and I love you forever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever."
**aww kid**
Every once in a while ce comes out with these beautiful things.. and I am just truly blessed to have such an amazing kid.. So I guess what I'm saying is.. 1) I love my kid lol but 2) Robin really was right all those months ago. What the kid wants.. what the kid needs is for me to just buck up and be the "mean" mommy while I have to.. He NEEDS the rules.. he WANTS the structure.. and well, I'll keep giving it to him then :)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwwww La!! That's the cutest sweetest thing ever!!

He's right too you know :) You rock girl!

Mandy K. said...

Ugh, you just made me cry. LOL!

Nikki said...

I agree with Mandy. I have tears, La. Tears. Dang it. I did not need to cry this morning. LOL.
But I am so glad that you have a sweetie like that in your life. It makes life that much better, doesn't it?

LuAnn said...

and it's moments like that that make all the stress of being a parent worth it! sometimes I wish I could go back and do it all over again - not change much, just how I handled the kids.

Anonymous said...

Now that made me smile. It is really hard to be the "mean mommy" I know with three kids I feel like I am always the mean mommy. Id say it gets easier and in some ways it does but as they get older it just seems like theres more things to worry about.

Ava in Wonderland said...

Aww that is sweet!!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

Awww. That is so sweet!

I hear "But I want to listen to you! But it's too hard!" excuse fairly often from DS2. He sounds so cute saying it I have a hard time saying "Yes, but you didn't, so go to your room."

Jennifer said...

You are being such an awesome mom! He's so lucky to have you! :)

Chels said...

aww... sweet!

Unknown said...

I don't know what my dealio is today but I am such a damn sap! What Ce said to you made me seriously weep! It's true La, you need to be his consistant rock and you'll both be better off for it. I honestly love your kid! I am soo proud of you two!

Libby Pritchett said...

Awww! What a sweet kid!! That's awesome!! (and psssst! Tagged you on my blog. Don't hate me.)

Anonymous said...

ahhhh, girl. what a sweetie. wtg facing the hard mommy stuff head on!